Hey, grillin’ gang! AB in the house, and today, we’re diving into a flavor symphony that’ll have your taste buds dancing – Root Beer Wings! Now, I know what you’re thinkin’: root beer and wings? Trust me on this one. We’re about to unlock a whole new level of finger-lickin’ goodness. So, grab a cold one and let’s get smokin’!
Why, you ask? Because we’re not here for the ordinary – we’re here to elevate your grilling game. These Root Beer Wings are the perfect blend of sweet, smoky, and savory. The root beer glaze takes your wings from “good” to “mind-blowing.” Picture this: crispy, caramelized skin, succulent chicken, and a glaze that’s like a flavor hug for your taste buds. These wings aren’t just food; they’re an experience, a journey into the uncharted waters of deliciousness. So, why should you make this dish? Because you deserve wings that make you shout, “Oh, mercy!”
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- Salt to taste
- White pepper
- 1 cup root beer
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Prepare the Wings:
- Rinse the chicken wings under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Season generously with salt and white pepper, ensuring each wing is evenly coated.
- Root Beer Glaze Magic:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine root beer, brown sugar, smoked paprika, and chipotle powder.
- Simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves, and the flavors meld together.
- Create the Cornstarch Slurry:
- Mix cornstarch with a tablespoon of water to create a slurry.
- Gradually add the slurry to the simmering root beer mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Preheat the Grill:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, ensuring it’s nice and hot before adding the chicken wings.
- Grill the Wings:
- Place the seasoned wings on the grill grates and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure even cooking and those coveted grill marks.
- Introduce the Glaze:
- As the wings near perfection, generously coat each wing with the root beer glaze using a basting brush.
- Allow the glaze to caramelize on the wings for an extra few minutes on the grill, creating a mouthwatering finish.
- Plate and Garnish:
- Arrange the Root Beer Chicken Wings on a serving platter, garnishing with chopped parsley or green onions for a pop of color and freshness.
- Serve and Indulge:
- Whether you’re serving them up as a mouthwatering appetizer or the star of your backyard barbecue, these sizzling wings are sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Expert Tips and Tricks:
- Marinate for Flavor: Let the wings marinate in the root beer glaze for an hour before grilling. The flavors will soak into the meat, giving you an extra punch of tastiness.
- Double Dip for Intensity: After grilling, give the wings a second coat of glaze for an extra layer of flavor. It’s like giving them a root beer-flavored hug.
- Get the Grill Marks: For those perfect grill marks, resist the urge to constantly flip the wings. Let them sear and develop those beautiful char lines.
- Spicy Root Beer Kick: Add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the glaze for a fiery twist.
- Garlic Parmesan Lovin’: Toss the wings in a mix of melted butter, minced garlic, and grated Parmesan after grilling. Oh, mercy!
- Honey Mustard Bliss: Mix honey and Dijon mustard for a sweet and tangy alternative glaze.
- Orange Ginger Zing: Swap root beer for orange soda and add grated ginger to the glaze for an Asian-inspired kick.
- Smokey Chipotle Heat: Stir in a tablespoon of chipotle in adobo sauce for a smoky, spicy flavor explosion.
- Maple Bourbon Elegance: Replace brown sugar with maple syrup and add a splash of bourbon to the glaze for a touch of sophistication.
- Lemon Pepper Delight: Keep it fresh with a zesty combo of lemon juice and cracked black pepper.
- Soy Garlic Infusion: Intensify the umami by adding minced garlic and extra soy sauce to the glaze.
- Raspberry Balsamic Magic: Mix in some raspberry preserves and balsamic vinegar for a sweet and tangy twist.
- Jamaican Jerk Vibes: Infuse island flavors by adding jerk seasoning to the root beer glaze.
What to Serve With:
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: Slathered in butter and a sprinkle of chili powder.
- Loaded Potato Skins: Stuffed with cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- Avocado Cilantro Lime Rice: A refreshing and creamy side dish.
- Crispy Onion Rings: The perfect crunchy companion.
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa: Sweet and tangy, with a hint of heat.
- Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers: Spicy, cheesy, and wrapped in bacon – need I say more?
- Garlic Butter Mushrooms: Simple yet flavorful mushrooms cooked in garlic butter.
- Coleslaw with a Kick: A zesty slaw to cool down the heat from the wings.
- Sweet Potato Fries: Baked or fried, these are a crowd-pleaser.
- Blue Cheese Dip: Creamy and tangy, the perfect dip for these wings.
Root Beer Chicken Wings
Start by rinsing the chicken wings under cold water and patting them dry with paper towels. Season them generously with salt and white pepper, ensuring each wing is evenly coated. This will lay the foundation for our flavor-packed dish.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the root beer, brown sugar, smoked paprika, and chipotle powder. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has fully dissolved and the flavors have melded together. This aromatic glaze will be the secret weapon of our dish, infusing each bite with a sweet and smoky essence.
To achieve the perfect consistency, mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of water to create a slurry. Gradually add this slurry to the simmering root beer mixture, stirring constantly. As the mixture thickens, it will coat the back of a spoon, signaling that it’s ready to elevate our chicken wings to new heights of flavor.
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, ensuring it’s nice and hot before adding the chicken wings. Place the seasoned wings on the grill grates, allowing them to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes. Be sure to turn them occasionally, ensuring they cook evenly on all sides and develop those coveted grill marks.
As the chicken wings near perfection on the grill, it’s time to introduce them to our irresistible root beer glaze. Using a basting brush, generously coat each wing with the glaze, allowing it to caramelize and infuse the meat with its luscious flavor. A few extra minutes on the grill will ensure that the glaze becomes beautifully caramelized, creating a mouthwatering finish that’s sure to impress.
Once the wings are cooked to perfection and the glaze has worked its magic, it’s time to plate up and indulge. Arrange the root beer chicken wings on a serving platter, garnishing with chopped parsley or green onions for a pop of color and freshness. Whether you’re serving them up as a mouthwatering appetizer or the star of your backyard barbecue, these sizzling wings are sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Recommended Items From My Store
AB’s Signature Series Apron – Olive
Just a heads up: This page might contain affiliate links. I’m here to share the kitchen tools I personally rely on daily. If you decide to click on a link and make a purchase, please be assured that you won’t incur any additional costs. However, I may earn a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!