Southern Style Enchiladas Recipe
Indulge in the ultimate breakfast comfort food with our secret recipe for Southern Style Black Eyed Peas Breakfast Enchiladas. Savor the creamy sausage gravy, fluffy scrambled eggs, and crispy tater tots wrapped in a warm tortilla. This step-by-step guide will show you how to make this Southern classic at home.
Introduction: Picture this: a lazy Sunday morning, the sun peeking through your window, and the tantalizing aroma of a Southern breakfast wafting through your kitchen. What if I told you that you could recreate this experience in your own home with a secret recipe for comfort cravings? Get ready to embark on a culinary journey as we unveil the mouthwatering world of Southern Style Breakfast Enchiladas.
The Mouthwatering Experience: There’s something truly magical about Southern cuisine. It’s all about heartwarming flavors, comforting textures, and a dash of soul. These breakfast enchiladas encapsulate that very essence—a symphony of flavors that dance in your mouth with each bite. Imagine a plate filled with creamy sausage gravy, fluffy scrambled eggs, and crispy tater tots, all wrapped snugly in a warm tortilla. Each bite is an explosion of flavor and nostalgia, a reminder of the good times around the breakfast table.
Description of the Dish: Southern Style Breakfast Enchiladas are a delightful fusion of Tex-Mex and Southern cuisine. The star of this dish is the rich and velvety sausage gravy that blankets the enchiladas. The perfectly scrambled eggs and crispy tater tots bring a hearty and satisfying texture to the filling. A blend of Pepper Jack and cheddar cheese adds that irresistible cheesy goodness that we all adore. All of this deliciousness is carefully wrapped in fajita-size flour tortillas, creating a breakfast masterpiece.
Let’s dive into the heart of this recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked tater tots
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 fajita-size flour tortillas
- Place the ground breakfast sausage in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Crumble it as it cooks.
- When the sausage is about halfway cooked, add the diced onion and minced jalapeno. Continue cooking until the sausage is browned and the onion and jalapeno are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup of the sausage, onion, and jalapeno mixture and set it aside for later.
- Place the skillet back on the heat and sprinkle the flour on the remaining sausage mixture. Cook and stir for about 1 minute, creating a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and simmer the mixture until it thickens. Once it’s reached the desired thickness, remove it from the heat.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a separate nonstick pan, whisk the eggs and season them with a pinch of salt. Melt the butter in the pan and scramble the eggs until they are still slightly undercooked. Remember, they will continue to cook in the oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1 cup of reserved sausage mixture with the cooked tater tots, the scrambled eggs, and half of the Pepper Jack and cheddar cheese.
- Lay out the fajita-size flour tortillas and place about 1/2 cup of the filling down the center of each one. Roll up the tortillas, ensuring the seam side is facing down, and place them in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the prepared sausage gravy over your rolled enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake the enchiladas in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they are hot and bubbly, and the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Expert Tips and Tricks:
- Customize the Heat: Adjust the level of spiciness by removing the jalapeno seeds for a milder kick or keeping them for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve It With: These breakfast enchiladas pair perfectly with a side of fresh salsa, sour cream, or sliced avocado for a fresh and tangy contrast.
- Make-Ahead Magic: You can prepare the filling and gravy the night before, making the morning preparation a breeze. Assemble and bake when you’re ready.
What to Serve It With: Complete your Southern Style Breakfast Enchiladas experience with a side of freshly brewed coffee, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, or a mimosa for a brunch twist. Fresh fruit salad or a simple green salad with a light vinaigrette also make excellent companions to balance the richness of the enchiladas.
Storage Tips: If you have any leftovers (though we doubt you will), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or microwave them for a quick and easy breakfast.
In the world of breakfast delights, Southern Style Breakfast Enchiladas stand out as a true gem. So, channel your inner Southern chef and treat yourself to this extraordinary morning masterpiece. With our secret recipe and expert tips, you’re well on your way to becoming the breakfast hero of your household. Enjoy every bite of this comfort-filled journey!
Check out my latest Video
Southern Style Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy
1. Get the Sausage Sizzling:
– In a large nonstick pan, toss in the sausage and crank up the heat to medium-high. Crumble it up as it sizzles.
2. Add Some Spice:
– When the sausage is about halfway cooked, toss in the diced onion and jalapeño. Let those flavors meld together as they cook.
3. Set Aside Some Goodness:
– Use a slotted spoon to scoop out 1 cup of the sausage, onion, and jalapeño mix and stash it for later.
4. A Little Flour Power:
– Throw that skillet back on the heat and sprinkle some flour on the remaining sausage mixture. Cook and stir for about a minute, creating a golden roux.
5. Creamy Dreams:
– Gradually whisk in the milk and let it simmer until it thickens, like the coastal fog. Once it’s nice and creamy, take it off the heat.
6. Preheat and Prepare:
– Set your oven to a chill 350 degrees and give a little love to a 9×13-inch baking dish with a light grease job.
7. Eggscellent Scramble:
– Whip up the eggs and season them with a pinch of salt. Melt the butter in a nonstick pan and scramble those eggs until they’re slightly undercooked. They’ll catch some rays in the oven later.
8. Mix and Mingle:
– In a medium bowl, combine the 1 cup of reserved sausage mixture with the frozen tater tots, scrambled eggs, and half of the Pepper Jack and cheddar cheese.
9. Roll with It:
– Lay out those tortillas and plop about 1/2 cup of this groovy filling down the center of each one. Roll ’em up and place them seam-side down in the prepared baking dish.
10. Top It Off:
– Pour that creamy sausage gravy over your rolled enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, like a sprinkle of sunshine.
11. Bake in the Golden State:
– Slide those enchiladas into your preheated oven and let them soak up the West Coast warmth for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they’re hot, bubbling, and the cheese is golden and melty.
Tips and Tricks:
1. Chill with the Heat:** Adjust the spice level by removing the jalapeño seeds for a milder kick or leaving them in for a bolder flavor.
2. Surf and Turf: To add a touch of coastal luxury, consider topping your enchiladas with some fresh seafood like shrimp or crab.
3. West Coast Freshness: Elevate your breakfast by adding sliced avocado, diced tomatoes, or fresh herbs like cilantro or chives for a burst of West Coast flavor.
4. Sunrise Service: You can prep the filling and gravy ahead of time for a stress-free morning. Just assemble and bake when you’re ready.
These Southern Style Breakfast Enchiladas are a testament to the fresh and vibrant flavors of our region. They’re perfect for a laid-back breakfast, a weekend brunch, or whenever you want to infuse a bit of that West Coast magic into your morning routine. So, catch some waves and savor a plate of these delicious enchiladas for a breakfast experience that’s as cool and sunny as California itself. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be riding the culinary wave in style like me, “AB”!
Just a heads up: This page might contain affiliate links. I’m here to share the kitchen tools I personally rely on daily. If you decide to click on a link and make a purchase, please be assured that you won’t incur any additional costs. However, I may earn a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!