The holiday season is upon us, and it’s the perfect time to celebrate traditions both old and new. One tradition that never goes out of style is the luscious, comforting, and utterly satisfying Sweet Potato Pie. This timeless dessert has been gracing Thanksgiving and holiday tables for generations, filling homes with warmth, love, and the irresistible aroma of spices.
In this recipe guide, we will take you on a journey of culinary delight, sharing the secrets to creating the perfect Sweet Potato Pie. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice, this step-by-step recipe will ensure that your pie emerges from the oven as a masterpiece of taste and texture. So, let’s dive into the magic of this classic dessert and discover ways to make it uniquely yours.
Imagine sinking your fork into a perfectly baked Sweet Potato Pie. The crisp, golden crust gives way to a velvety, sweet potato filling infused with the comforting flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg. Each bite is like a warm hug from your grandmother and a taste of cherished holiday memories. The optional pecan topping adds a delightful crunch, while marshmallows create a gooey, sweet surprise. This pie embodies everything that is wonderful about the holidays: joy, comfort, and togetherness.
- 1 Pre-made refrigerated Pie Crust or Graham Cracker Crust
- 1⁄2 Stick Butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3⁄4 cans Evaporated Milk
- 2 cups Sweet Potato, cooked and mashed
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Nutmeg
Pecan Topping Ingredients
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 stick Butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup Flour
- 1⁄2 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Walnuts, chopped
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
Step 2: Prepare the Crust
- Unroll the pre-made pie crust or press the graham cracker crust into a 9-inch round pie dish or cake pan, forming the crust into the bottom and sides of the pan. Crimp the edges for a decorative touch.
Step 3: Mix the Filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter, sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until the filling is smooth and free of lumps.
Step 4: Fill the Pie Dish
- Pour the sweet potato filling into the prepared crust.
Step 5: Add Topping (Your Choice)
- Pecan Topping: In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, melted butter, flour, pecans, and walnuts. Evenly spread this mixture on top of the pie filling.
- Marshmallow Topping: If you prefer marshmallow toppings, simply sprinkle as many marshmallows as you desire over the pie filling.
Step 6: Bake
- Bake the pie for 50 to 60 minutes or until the pie is set but has a slight jiggle in the very center when lightly shaken.
Step 7: Chill and Serve
- Allow the pie to cool completely in the refrigerator before slicing and serving.
Expert Tips and Tricks:
- Perfect Pie Crust: For a perfectly flaky crust, you can brush it with a beaten egg before baking. This helps seal the crust and gives it a beautiful golden finish.
- Spice It Up: Adjust the cinnamon and nutmeg to your preference to control the level of spiciness.
- Room Temperature Eggs: Ensure your eggs are at room temperature for a smoother filling.
- Pecan Perfection: If you opt for the pecan topping, toasting the nuts before adding them enhances their flavor and crunch.
- Nut-Free Version: Omit the nuts from the topping or filling for a nut-free version that’s equally delightful.
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie: Substitute butter and eggs with vegan alternatives, and use a plant-based milk for a vegan-friendly version.
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies: Make individual-sized pies by using muffin tins or mini pie pans. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
What to Serve It With:
Sweet Potato Pie is a showstopper on its own, but it pairs wonderfully with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For a festive touch, drizzle caramel sauce over each slice before serving. Alongside a cup of your favorite hot beverage, this pie makes the perfect ending to a Thanksgiving or holiday meal.
Store leftover Sweet Potato Pie in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3-4 days. For longer storage, consider freezing slices in an airtight container.
Elevate your holiday dessert game with our Sweet Potato Pie, a dish that encapsulates the essence of cherished traditions and new beginnings. As the sweet aroma of spices wafts through your kitchen, you’ll know you’ve created a masterpiece worthy of your holiday table. So, gather your loved ones, slice a piece of heaven, and celebrate the magic of the season with this delightful pie. Happy baking and even happier holidays!
Sweet Potato Pie
I’m going to show you how to make a delectable sweet potato pie with marshmallow topping. This version of the pie is super simple and incredibly delicious. If you’ve never made it before, don’t worry—it’s a straightforward process that yields fantastic results. So, let’s get started!
Pecan Topping Ingredients
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
Press the pie crust into a 9-inch round pie dish or cake pan, forming the crust into the bottom and the sides of the pan. Crimp the edges if you prefer a pie crust with a design.
Combine all the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix until smooth with no lumps.
Pour the filling into the pie dish with the crust.
If you prefer a pecan topping, mix the pecan topping ingredients in a bowl until evenly combined, then spread the mixture on top of the pie filling, smoothing it out with your hands.
If you prefer marshmallow toppings, sprinkle as many marshmallows as you’d like over the pie filling.
Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until the pie is set but has a slight jiggle in the very center when lightly shaken. Then chill completely in a refrigerator.
Slice, then serve!